(Still available!: The Zot! Limited Edition Print).
This week's panel suggested by Morgan Doninger
Happy Holidays, Everybody!
See you in 2001!!!
Just Five Panels left!
Things are going to be pretty hectic for the next couple of weeks so Carl's taking a short break. Get those suggestions ready though. We're heading down the home stretch!!
As always, suggestions are listed in the order they were received. Thanks for playing and please join us again Sunday, January 7th, 2001!!!
- Carl crosses his fingers!
Wow! Ameritech failed to pull the plug on me Friday - not that I'm complaining! Quick, before it's too late:
- Carl, over his shoulder: "Well, see ya later!"
- Carl, slapping his forehead: "Oh shoot! Larry's Comic Shop closes in ten minutes!"
- Carl by car, "Let's get out of this graveyard!"
- Carl, turning back on Daisy: "Ha Ha! Foolish female!"
- Diagonal split panel: Top: Carl smiling: "Later, baby!" Bottom: Daisy, enraged: "Fink!"
[Hi, Paul! Yes, "silhouette" can indeed be used as a verb according to my ancient American Heritage. --Scott]
- Daisy is driving Carl around and drinking a beer. Carl says: "Are you sure you should be doing that?"
[Just for the record, I did like Unbreakable, just not as much as 6th Sense. --Scott]
- I've got to get some champagne for Daisy.
Tomorrow the Florida Legislature will meet to certify electors for: Scott McCloud! Scott, have you set up your transition office, yet?
- A little Carl with horns appears on Carl's shoulder and says, "Aw, let's have some fun! A promise is just words!"
- Dallit and Berbax show up with beer and say "Hey, Carl. let's party!" Carl looks enthusiastic.
- Caption: "1 hour later..." Carl is seen with beer in hand, stumbling down street, singing "You made me, promises, promises..."
- Dallit and Berbax show up with beer and say "Hey, Carl, is your Mom home? We wanna party!"
- A little carl with a halo appears on Carl's shoulder and says "Promise your conscience you'll keep your promises." Carl says, "I promise."
And so I end much the same way I began this list.
[Even G.W. would demand a recount if that happened! --Scott]
Wow! My stuff got on the weekly list again!
- Caption- The next day... Carl is waking up from a hangover. Behind him is a sign that says "Welcome to Borneo" Carl: Where am I?
I was thinking about the three-dimensional comics thing, and I had the bizarre idea of a mobile. It would be hard to read, but it might work well with something like CYOC.
Bob, Lord of Evil
- *grabs beer* Ah to heck with it, I ams what I ams!
- Carl: oh, fiddle sticks! I left my keys in my car! Be right back
- Carl: I am a hermaphrodite.
Okay, I know he's not, but think of the possibilites McCloud! OPEN YOUR MIND AND THINK OF THEM!
- *awkward staring between Mom and Girl*Carl: Oh, heheh, Mom, this is (whatever the girls name was)... Heh... aheh heh... Woo doggy...
- Carl: Oh, no! Jesus is descending from the clouds!
- Mom: And don't forget to wear clean underwear.
Carl: Yes, well... I wasn't looking for a relationship right now anyway...
- Carl: What a second- what are your views on the 2000 election?
- Carl: To prove it, I will smash this beer bottle over my head.... Repeatedly.
- Do you like monkeys? Well I sure do. And I think monkeys should infets this panel.
- Have we explored the "Mom didn't say not to drink and FLY. Heh heh heh." thing yet? This opens up...well heck, it opens up DOGFIGHTS, for one thing.
- ART: Medium shot of Carl kissing and hugging Daisy (or draw them doing something more explicit, if you are so inclined) while driving with one hand. CARL: (thoughts) Mom didn't say anything about SEX!
- Carl walks on the way thinking "why i promise? Will my love stay til i die?"
Sorry I haven't been around, but life is well life... But, I will be sticking for the last six panels.
- Daisy walks in on our everlovin' "I Promise" panel with car keys in one hand and an open Bud in the other. Daisy: "Come on Carl. Hic. We gotta go."
I just thought that Daisy has been a little too goody two shoey lately. I also have a great idea for our last choosing panel, but I'll keep that one to myself for now...
- Carl looks at his watch. "Whoa, look at the time! Gotta go."
Craig J. Clark
Wow, we're in the home stretch.
- [Carl looks at his watch and rushes to his car, leaving a surprised Daisy/Mom.] CARL: Whoops, I'm going to be late. Gotta run!
Thanks for Reinventing Comics, by the way.
im a 13 years old boy and im your fan!!!! i do comics too (for 4 years now) and i started doing them online a month ago, my web page is (no www): justjokesandcomics.homestead.com/index.html
- this is knda dumb sujestion, but it'll be funny: daisy: what do you wanna do now?... carl: dunno... LET'S GO DRINK N' DRIVE!!!
your books and web site are the best!!!! would you make another carl comics next year??? pleeeeeez? noam: p.s: did i mention to check my web site at: justjokesandcomics.homestead.com/index.html adios!
- Carl hops into car. "Ha! Had my fingers crossed!"
- Carl, walking down the street alone, with car keys in one hand and a Bud in the other: "Good thing I lie so well."
- Carl and Daisy sitting next to each other in a car. Carl is driving with his arm around Daisy, and they're guzzling a bottle of wine and singing (the Carpenters') "We've Only Just Begun"
Hmm, the button wasn't working, so I'll do this the olde-fashioned way.
- Just the one suggestion: Carl, blotto, behind the wheel, and guzzling away, thinking "Well, I promised I wouldn't drive AND leave a drink... something like that..."
- OK, one other: "Hey, let's play golf." (this is to set up another approach to "drive", and get Carl done in in a new way)
- For the next Carl section: Carl's back is turned toward audience with his hand behind his back and his fingers crossed. Carl is looking over his shoulder at audience with his other hand over his mouth holding back a mischievous smile. Carl: "Tee-hee!"
- a picture of carl driving a car, sitting next to a girl who is not daisy, with a beer in his hand. The thought bubble says "I hope nobody expects me to keep my promises" or"good thing nobody expects me to keep my promises" or "Man being a pathological liar sure does make life easy"
I can't remember if I've posted or not this week. Finals is hard!
- Drunk Carl, alone, sez, "Promisshes were made to be broken"
- Some weird Freudian thing, where mom and Daisy combine.
- OOh, too weird. How about Carl, drunk again, lamenting that he don't know who the parsident is
- Too topical, like certain creams. How about he's drinking, but it's Cream soda? Aah, refreshing.
- Wow, this is a lame run. A rip in the space time continuum! Yes, that's it!
- No, not that either. Just have Carl about to drink, and everyone from the whole strip shows up. Really little.
Yeah, that'll do. Scott, I assume, although I don't know, that the tools you use to make webcomics can be hooked up to any brand of computer that has the hardware to handle them, right? In other words, they aren't just Mac tools, or Microsoft tools. I hope I don't sound too dumb.
[There are no dumb questions, Travis, but the answer to this one is a bit complicated. The web itself is "cross-platform" -- any kind of computer can view these words and images -- but the tools used to create them vary. Some, like Adobe Photoshop, are available for both Macs and PCs. Others might not be. I'm not sure about Adobe GoLive which helps build web pages, for example. Most programs that are available for both platforms still need to be purchased as Mac OR PC version. They rarely offer both on the same disc as entertainment CD-ROMs sometimes do. --Scott]
[I was always secretly proud of those panels. --Scott]
- The obvious one first: Text box "meanwhile", somebody is instructing a mafia killer: "Promise me he'll not last his father more than three days!" Killer: "I promise."
- Carl, driving along a road with pubs and... um, other etablissements, muttering: "Promise... promise... what am I _there_ for!?"
- Text box: "One year later". Daisy and Ethel are putting some heavy weaponry into a car, saying to each other: "Let's make him never lie again!"
- Carl, obviously quite confused, is riding the pink elephant, while the ibex herd, the momster, the angel, the devil, and the 7th cavalry are roaming around him. Carl shouts: "What's THIS??! I DIDN'T drink, I'm SURE!"
- Carl walks off towards his car with a beer in hand. "Okay, see you later!"
[Y'know, when Understanding Comics came out, people asked me the same thing and I told them I'd probably wait until I had another 7 years of ideas before writing another book like UC. Sure enough, it was almost exactly 7 years until RC. Guess I'll wait another 7 for the next one!--Scott]
Fernando Fuentes MÈndez
[We are looking into the possibility of translations. Stay tuned! --Scott]